Upgrade your traditional candied yams topped with marshmallows with this savory sweet potatoes recipe. We’ll give you two reasons to try it: 1. Bacon, 2. Bourbon Maple.
During the holidays, everyone has those go-to recipes that can’t be missed. At our home, corn, green bean, and sweet potato casseroles are always a must. Even though it’s almost a requirement to make these dishes, that doesn’t mean they have to be made the using the same recipe year after year.
The bacon and stock additions help balance out the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and bourbon maple syrup. This savory sweet potatoes recipe lends itself more to a side dish than a dessert.
Savory Sweet Potatoes Recipe
A sweet and savory take on sweet potato casserole.
- 3 lbs Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Orange (juiced)
- 1/2 Orange Rind (cut in slices)
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken or Turkey Stock
- 1/3 cup Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
- 4 TBSP Butter (sliced)
- 3 slices Bacon (cooked & chopped)
- 1/2 cup Pecans (choppped)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 1 pinch Thyme
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Wash, peel, and cut sweet potatoes into pieces no larger than 1 inch.
- Cover sweet potato pieces with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Drain then return to pot.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place stock, syrup, bay, cinnamon, cloves, orange juice and rind, butter, thyme and salt & pepper in a small pot over medium-low heat. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove stock from heat and strain into sweet potatoes. Mash potatoes.
- Stir in bacon pieces. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top with chopped pecans.